Cats off the Carbs: Goldfish with meat & Sandwich spirals
You know that I love Cookie & Pipps to death. I'm legit obsessed with their little fluffy bunny ears, toe beans that look like cute teddy bears (when you draw eyes and mouths on them, not that I've EVER done that right) and even the loving way they try to suffocate me each and every night by planking on the top of my chest (or alternatively jumping up & down trying to throw off my heart beat - how do they even know it could kill me?!).

All this won't make any difference to the world though, will it. Or even to your own lives. Or to the lives of your own fluffy monsters. And blogs shouldn't just be encouraging you to buy the most recent lipstick launches and showing you how to make IKEA shelves look a million dollars. In my little corner of the universe I strive to inform, help, educate even. I take you for trips to places you might have not been to, I introduce you to brands you might have not heard of, I cook dinners for you which you may have never eaten. And after reading Cats off the Carbs by Jenny from Cat Packs I realised that this is exactly the kind of message I should be sharing with you.

🐱 Feline Foodology series

I have mentioned Cats off the Carbs briefly in the post about 7 things I've learnt about cats, from cats however this time I'd like to go more in-depth. Feline Foodology on Cityscape Bliss will be a series of posts where Cookie & Pippin, the connoisseurs of cat food & two very picky felines, test various cat foods to see which ones their little bellies like the most, which are the most sustainable to feed in long term (so they don't completely ruin your bank balance) and which contain the healthiest and most natural ingredients. Cookie & Pipps have been on the very same food since the very beginning (well we have tried a few different ones but Cookie is very specific with his dinner choices) - it's been Felix wet pouches (the poultry or beef selection only, no fish please) & Go Cat dry food (for indoor cats, again no bloody fish and only when served in their Paw5 toy). But is this the best the little buggers could be eating? Probably not.

Because you wouldn't feed your kid slaughterhouse slurry and salt by table spoons, would ya? So why are we doing that to our cats?!  

🐥 HuHuBamboo Chicken Sandwich Spirals

I bought these HuHuBamboo treats when I was in Prague last week (so this will be a bit of a travel edition!) - I'm forever intrigued by foreign cat food. Almost as intrigued as I am by foreign beauty products. HuHuBamboo claim to be a 100% natural cat treat and they come in a range of flavours - Cookie's favourite is chicken so I picked up the Chicken Sandwich Spirals for him to try. The taste test went down very well, there was even some growling when Pipps tried to cheekily approach one of his chicken spirals! The ingredients show that the treats are high in meat content and low in any other chemicals (you do need some flour to get the treats to keep their shape and some salt as a preservation agent).

Ingredients: Chicken breast 67.5%, cod 20%, rice flour, sodium chloride, sucrose
Analytical components: Protein 32%, moisture content 25%, fat 6.5%, fiber 6.5%, crude ash 4.5%
Price: About £2


🐟 HuHuBamboo Goldfish with Meat

Pippin is fond of fish more than of chicken, in fact she goes absolutely mad for anything fish shaped - be it a toy or food. Seeing fish treats covered in chicken meat pigs-in-blankets style, I was sold. And so was Pipps - she loves her goldfish treats so much she sprints to me as soon as she hears the drawer open. To my surprise even Cookie found these acceptable enough to put up a fight over one! Again - the ingredients are similar to the chicken spirals and there's nothing that would be harmful to your cat. I would question why there's more chicken than fish but then the fish comes bone dry so they are pretty tiny!  

Ingredients: Chicken 51.5%, cod 40%, sodium chloride, sucrose
Analytical components: Protein 32%, moisture content 25%, fat 6.5%, fiber 4.5%, crude ash 6%
Price: About £2

These treats are only available in the Czech Republic at the moment (and occasionally on Amazon; in the Czech Republic you can buy them from the Pet Center shops - click here) - so next time you're in Prague don't forget to pick some up! They are pretty damn tasty (I dare say the most popular treats we've tried so far - or at least on par with Almo Nature and Green&Wilds!) and I'd most definitely recommend these for your little munchkins!

To learn more you can grab a copy of Jenny's book Cats off the Carbs here - it's a great little guide if you're looking to start feeding your cat a proper food! And just to reiterate (and give you an example of what kind of information you can find in the book) - a good cat food is
High in animal protein
Moderate in fat
Low in carbohydrates
What are you feeding your cats at the moment?
Have you ever tried reading the labels & deciphering what they mean?

Cats off the Carbs: Goldfish with meat & Sandwich spirals
💭 Totally not sponsored - Jenny was kind enough to share her book Cats off the Carbs with me (thank you!) however all the picky feline habits, beany toesies and stinky toots after eating too much fishy treats are our very own. 

💭 I don't claim to be an expert in cat food - all my knowledge is gathered from Jenny's book, the internets and my own personal experience, however I'm genuinely hoping this series will help others understand the importance of proper cat food.

Feline Foodology: Goldfish with meat & Sandwich spirals by HuHuBamboo

THE FELINE FOODOLOGY SERIES

Feline Foodology Feline Foodology Feline Foodology
Feline Foodology Feline Foodology Feline Foodology
Feline Foodology Feline Foodology Feline Foodology
Follow