Baked figs on red wine & cheddar recipe
Last week I visited a launch of Omar Allibhoy's new book Spanish Made Simple: Foolproof Spanish Recipes for Every Day (buy here). Omar is the man behind Tapas Revolution - a popular lunch spot for Brummies which you can find clustered together with other snackeries & eateries at Grand Central. Spanish cuisine fascinates me - it's very different from the Czech one which is what I grew up on. It also slightly terrifies me - I've never cooked anything Spanish in my life! I was very intrigued whilst flicking through the book - is this something I might be able to cook myself?

The last time I visited Tapas Revolution I was smitten by their deserts. The rich chocolate mousses, the bread pudding like pancakes with a heap of cinnamon... all those dishes had one thing in common - they were all spicy & oh so comforting. When I woke up this morning and looked outside of the window into our ever so slightly frosty garden the choice was clear - I was to make a hearty desert today! My eye was caught by the beauty of baked figs in red wine sprinkled with cheddar. Well, Omar bakes them in sweet cherry wine smothered in Tetilla cheese but hey, we're in England, right? Whatever-red-wine-I-found-in-Tescos & mild cheddar. This is what dreams are made of!

But you know what? It's bloody delicious! It's essentially warm fig hearts doused in mulled wine from the German Christmas market. Topped with a cheesy crust. I love it! And it looks so ridiculously impressive - as if you spent hours in the kitchen copying a dreamy food Pin off your favourite Pinterest board. 

print recipe
Baked figs in red wine sprinkled with cheddar

Ingredients
  • 8 figs
  • 1 small glass red wine
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 200 grams mild cheddar
  • 1 tsp cloves
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
Instructions
1. Half the figs & place in a baking dish. 2. Pour wine over the figs, add cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar & butter. Add cheddar, either slices, broken into pieces or grated.3. Put in a preheated over (160°C) for 20 minutes.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:

Have you tried baked figs before?
Or anything else inspired by the Spanish cuisine?

Baked figs on red wine & cheddar recipe
Baked figs on red wine & cheddar recipe
Baked figs in red wine sprinkled with cheddar
Follow