Raw energy balls - the perfect gym snack
I'm totally a morning person. I wake up every single day at 5:30, literally jump out of the bed and do a yoga flow or two. But that is, unfortunately, it. There's no chance of me doing anything more active than that during the first couple of hours after waking up. But because I prefer getting the gym out of the way I tried the early gym bird life approach. The first time I went (on a belly full of chocolate hoops and milk), I almost threw up. Who in their right mind would go on a treadmill after a bowl of milk and choco hoops, I genuinely don't know. The second time I went on an empty belly. When I say I couldn't even get on the treadmill because I was so weak, I'm being rather modest. This all lead me to some serious brainstorming. If there only was a small snack to give me loads of energy for a couple of hours.. oh wait, there is! The bounce balls. And they are ridiculously expensive!! Thank gods of Pinterest that there's now a DIY tutorial for not just IKEA shelves but also raw energy balls!

print recipe

Raw Energy Balls

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of pitted dates 
  • 1 cup oatmeal & chia mix (mine's from Primrose's Kitchen - how cute is the packaging though?! buy it here)
  • 4 tbsp of water
  • 3 tbsp of raw cocoa
  • 1/2 cup of ground almonds
  • flax seeds & cocoa nibs
  • matcha green tea powder (mine's from Bloom, buy it here)
Instructions
1. Soak the dates in warm water for about 10 minutes and chop them up.  2. Add everything in a bowl (apart from flax seeds & cocoa nibs) and use your hands to create a dense dough. It shouldn't be too sticky or too runny, so add oats or water to achieve the right texture (you will know when you have it). 3. Now make about a million tiny balls and roll then in flax seeds, cocoa nibs or anything that you have on hand - could be coconut, ground almond, cocoa powder, matcha powder.. anything that takes your fancy. 4. Et voila - your raw energy balls are done! They are booming with superfoods and everything good and believe me when I say that one ball give you enough energy for a whole workout! They are like little secret energy dynamites!   
Details
Prep time: 10Cook time: 0Total time: 10Yield: 30-40 balls

  Have you made raw energy balls before?
Leave your recipes down below, I'd love to give them a try!