IKEA Hack - Kallax with legsYou have seen a fair bit of my bedroom in the fish tank DIY blog post (click here) but let's turn 180 degrees in the opposite direction - into the glorious corner of vintage posters & IKEA Kallax. You already know where this is going, don't ya? You can see what the shelf looked liked prior to my hacking efforts here. I'm sure you know the Kallax shelves well - but for those who might not - IKEA Kallax are the infamous cubical shelves from IKEA which come in a number of variations (individual slots, slots in pairs, an actual cube with 4 slots, a long alternative with 4 slots and an even longer one with 5 slots). I own two of the longest versions and they are great for storage. There are many uses for this shelf - you can stand it up so it doesn't take up a lot of space, you can lie it flat at the bottom of your bed as an extension, you can make it into a day bed.. none of these alternatives seemed to work for my bedroom though. So I put legs on it.

Putting legs on Kallax shelves is one of the most profound and frequent IKEA hacks out there, everyone and their dog has done it. I'm not gonna pretend it was a massive DIY - it was done in less than 10 minutes with help of a screwdriver and a couple of screws. The trickiest part was sourcing the legs. I wasn't keen on the boring traditional legs, pin legs seemed too expensive and a little too high too. Finally I managed to snatch these 4 vintage bed legs with caster wheels already attached to them. Bingo! They were not particularly expensive - maybe £15 for all 4? And tadaaaah - the boring bulky Kallax has turned into a vintage console on casters! Wheee!

What's your favourite IKEA hack?

IKEA Hack - Kallax with legs

IKEA Hack - Kallax with legs