As you have read on Cityscape Bliss before (here), flowers are extremely important to me. They make dull days brighter and lonely tables and shelves full of colour. In summer when your garden's in bloom it's ever so easy to pop out in your sandals (or barefoot even!) and cut a bunch of daisies, foxgloves or peonies. In winter it gets a little more difficult - there's not a lot to pick in your garden, especially when you live in England. Instead of racking my brains I either go straight to the florist's or when I'm feeling more creative I pick some of the following.   

⇢ Roses: Red or white are the colours of choice for me when it comes to winter bouquets. I'm not gonna lie, roses are not my most favourite flowers in the world but they are the fail-proof classic. Plain bouquets of red roses look a little too St Valentine's-esque and white roses are associated with weddings. Add accents of silver or gold, maybe a few more green leaves or even berry twigs to steer away from this stigma.  

 Tulips & other bulbs: Tulips, hyacinths and amaryllis look beautiful in cut bouquets but they look even more beautiful (and last way way longer!) in glass jars and containers filled with water - with their bulbs still attached. And once the festive season is over, you can plant them outside in your garden for another round of pretty blossoms once spring comes around!

⇢ Pine twigs: A truly budget friendly option are pine twigs. In fact if you are going for the ever so popular Scandinavian minimalism bare twigs will do. Make some origami decorations or pick up a pack of little wooden toys from Hema and you're sorted. 3 minutes and £0. You're welcome.

Holly: Holly is probably one of the most traditional Christmas plants. It looks beautiful as a part of bouquets but it also looks great on its own or in a wreath. I have a little one in a pot on my kitchen worktop for the light Christmas touch (I'm not big on Christmas decorations this year, meh).  

Carnations: Although carnations are often used in funeral wreaths, the emotional meaning behind these flowers varies. For instance red carnations stand for affection and pink carnations are believed to have come from the Virgin Mary's tears. When arranged thoughtfully they create a lovely and affordable Christmas centerpiece.  

You are probably wondering why I have not mentioned lilies - lilies are so beautiful but I tend to avoid them because they are highly toxic to cats and as I always say I'd rather have Cookie than a lily in my life. 

The stunning bouquet of winter flowers in the pictures is from Blossoming Gifts - they have the most breathtaking (and very affordable!) bunches! Browse their Christmas flowers here.